02 November 2007

Red Poppies Are The New Must Have Accessory


As you can see by my prior posts I primarily blog about my travels and my job. Today I make an exception to promote the annual Poppy Appeal.
Each year the Royal British Legion unfailingly supports its current and former soldiers welfares. I think we can all agree that ,politics aside, veterans generally get the shaft by their governments. This foundation makes an effort to step in and assist where the government fails.
Over 36 million poppies are produced at a factory in Richmond, Surrey. Each year around the end of October, stands pop up all over the country with poppies and a collection box. This is probably the one charity that has universal appeal, you see people of all ages and walks of life wearing poppies on all variety of outfits.
The appeal ends on Remembrance Sunday, 11th November. At the 11th hour at the 11 th minute the country truly stops for a 2 minute silence. As an American, where our Veterans Day had degenerated into a large shopping day at the mall, it is something to behold. Although not British, I support anyone who serves his country and proudly remember my grandfather who lied about his age to serve during WWI at the age of 15. I am proud of his bravery and think of him each time I put on my poppy. Pop-pop, this poppy is for you!!


3 comments:

Caitlin said...

Hi! I stumbled upon your blog and quite like it.

It's the same way in Canada, In fact the poem that popularized the poppy pin tradition (in a round about way) In Flanders Fields was written by a Canadian from Guelph. Sorry for the mini rant ;)

Heather said...

Caitlin, Thank you for the kind words! I love the poppy poem and would have referenced it but I had forgotten the name/author. Not a mini rant at all, we learn the most interesting facts from 'tangents'.

Caitlin said...

Just in case you need it for next year . . .

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.